Friday, October 12, 2007

Smithfest Lives On?

This last Wednesday a few of the Smith's got together to play one of our most classic sports...HOCKEY! That's right! Those awesome hockey games at Lake Sundance this summer must have found their way down to Utah.

For such short notice, we had a pretty good turn out including: Murray, Cody, Jefferson, Stephen, David, Richard, Ryan and some of Ryan's friends. We went to a nice church parking lot in American Fork and had a lot of fun! Hopefully, I'll be able to organize another round for this next Wednesday or sometime soon...but I may be at the hospital with a newborn!
We broke up into 2 teams. Team 1: Stephen, Cody, Richard, Trevor and Josh (Ryan's friends).
Team 2: Murray, me (David), Ryan, Jefferson, and Braiden (Ryan's friend).

I can't remember who scored the first goal, but we played three games. Going in to the third game my team was down 2-0 so we made some changes and I went to play goalie. Since my pads consisted of hockey gloves only and Richard had all the gear I knew we were doomed heh! Just like that the game turned quickly to 4-2. We played hard and it was so hillarious but my team made a comeback to bring the score to 4-4. Since we only play to 5 the next goal would end it! We played for what seemed like an eternity but the score was still tied at 4! I played so far out of the net that Cody and Trevor probably mistook me for a defenceman and I swear they hit a combined amount of 3 posts, I got so lucky! Then, we made a quick breakout play and Braiden got a breakaway. He made an awesome pass to Ryan who one-timed it right past Richard for the win! Braiden has only played hockey a few times and I think we've hooked him for life now! Then there's Trevor who played an awesome game too, we think his stick was cursed because he came so close to scoring so many times but would always come up just short ;). Of course Cody, Richard and I did our best to show off and we failed misearably but it was fun! Then there were the old timers Murray and my dad just doing there best to whack us with their sticks so they could steal the ball away from us hehe. Everyone had a blast! We then went to Wendys to finish things off with nice cold Frostys mmmmm!

Playin with the fam brought back some good memories of my high school hockey years. I also was reminded of Nathan and Julie's wedding and I remembered when we all went to Lake Sundance. I remember the whole family out on the ice playin shinny hockey. I remember uncle Collin. He LOVED hockey and he loved being with the family. I shed a tear as I think about that. I miss him and I wish we all lived close to each other (hint - everyone should come to Utah so we can fix that ;) ). I miss you all and I'm glad a few of us could briefly get together at Murray's this past week after conference.

For any of you Smith's in Utah and those in town (Dave!) and not working all the time (NATE!!!!!) and those visiting but sick with mono (your excused Specer heh) you can bet I'll be pullin ya'll together for some more hockey or other stuffs so be ready :)

1 comment:

Uncle Stephen said...

Well described son. I had a blast!